Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Stina's stuff

We are still at Brendan's parents' house today. Brendan came down with a nasty cold that seems to be passing from one person to the next in this household (I hope I'm not next!), so we postponed our journey until tomorrow. We weighed ourselves with our bags and my initial weigh-in was 170 lbs. Without the bag, I weigh 122 lbs, so it weighed 48 lbs. We looked up recommended maximum weights and for a fit individual it should be less than 33% of one's body weight, which for me is about 40 lbs (though I'm not sure I'm that fit). So Brendan helped me re-evaluate everything in my bag and we knocked off about 10 lbs so now my bag is at 38 lbs, though that will fluctuate somewhat depending on what I'm wearing and how much food I'm carrying.

Here is what's in it:

7 lb pair of stilts (strapped to outside)
1 lb 9 oz sleeping bag (graded for very low temps, also strapped to outside)
2 t-shirts
3 tank tops/undershirts
1 button up sweater
1 fleece jacket
1 rain coat (combined with fleece makes a very warm combination)
2 hats (one for warmth, one for keeping glasses dry in case of rain)
1 neck scarf
1 pair lightweight gloves
1 head scarf
8 pairs underwear
5 pairs socks (one cozy, the rest practical)
1 pair slipper socks (entirely a comfort thing)
1 pair stockings
1 pair pj bottoms
1 skirt
1 pair jeans
1 pair shorts
1 bathing suit
1 micro fleece towel
1 pair sandals
1 pair waterproof tennis shoes
1 water bottle with duct tape wrapped around it
1 small bottle shampoo
1 bar soap
toothpaste, toothbrush, dental floss
1 comb and a few bobby pins and 2 hair bands
contact solution and contacts (plus extra contacts)
1 glasses case currently holding 2 pairs sunglasses
1 bottle of sunscreen
1 small tube of moisurizer
nail clippers
6 juggling balls
passport, wallet, cell phone+charger, ipod+charger, speakers for ipod
2 tiny notebooks
1 tiny deck of cards
digital camera plus extra batteries
pocket size road atlas
Spanish-English dictionary
1 rechargeable flashlight
2 tarps for use with tent and covering packs in case of rain
feminine necessities
first-aid kit and bottle of painkillers
extra plastic baggies tucked in side pocket
1 clothing line strap thing
1 mesh bag for holding food
a few energy bars and some trail mix

Actually, a few of those things (like my wallet and cell phone) are in a separate purse so I can either toss that in the bag or carry it by itself.

Here's the bag and how the stilts are strapped on:
You can kind of tell from the picture how there is a ton of room at the top of the bag for food or just to keep empty.

And here are my shiny new shoes which Brendan got for me in exchange for our Y membership:


Aren't they pretty? Also they are very comfortable and, most importantly, waterproof.

Love,
Stina

1 comment:

Mark said...

Hi guys! Good to hear that you both are well (modulo the cold you mention) and about to start your big adventure.

I thought I might mention (since I missed out on advising you on wood selection for your stilts) that, if you are expecting to have your stilts out in the rain, you might want to invest in some sealant or finish for them, particularly over the end grain of the poles and the edges of the plywood.

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to reading your updates!

Mark.