Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Now we are in New Orleans

We arrived in New Orleans at around 6pm yesterday and Jocelyn and Nate were waiting for us at the station. It is a grand thing to go from cold to warm and from the discomfort of sleeping on a bus to the joy of sleeping in and stretching out on a bed. Jocelyn and Nate took us right to food, which was also a book club meeting with 11 other med school students. They were discussing the book Cosmicomics Italo Calvino, two copies of which have now been lent to us so we can read it and make sense of the discussion we sat in on last night. Everyone at the meeting was kind and interested in meeting us and once they started discussing the book, they stayed on topic very well, which impressed me.

Jocelyn is generously giving us her apartment as our own while we are here. She is staying at Nate's, which is within easy walking distance, and tonight we will head over there to have dinner with them. Right now we are at Community Coffee, which has free WiFi and is also within easy walking distance. Tomorrow we may busk a little, and will at least head to where other buskers are and get an idea of what it's like to busk in New Orleans. Today we are still recuperating from our colds, mine having reached its worst spot (I hope) last night and this morning. The queasiness of yestereve has passed into a general difficulty to breathe today, but I have high hopes that I will be mostly recovered tomorrow.

A question for our readers: What do you think about buskers? How does it make you feel to see a busker (of any kind)? Go any direction you like with this, and please post responses as comments.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When I see a busker, my first thought is usually something along the lines of, "Hey, that's impressive" or "Hmmm... I could do better". Yes, I'm judgmental but you've got to really draw me in to keep me around. There's just too much to see and do in the world to stop and watch something mediocre.

Oh, yeah... and if the show isn't good, I decapitate the busker.

Lena said...

I miss you guys so much. I'm so impressed with your adventure thus far.

To answer your question, I react one of two ways when I see a busker - and it depends entirely on that busker. If the busker looks comfortable and like he/she is having fun, I love to watch them (and maybe even give them money if they are good). If, on the other hand, they look desperate and unsure of themselves, I tend to shy away and find something very interesting about the location across the street.

I hope this helps. I love you guys.

Alissa said...

Brendan, I kept *almost* deleting your comment when I was rushing through my blog deleting spam, and catching myself at the last minute...but now I finally did. Oops. I'm sorry! But I'm going to link to your blog from mine, to make up for deleting your cleverly-disguised-as-spam comment which made me giggle so many times.

I love seeing buskers. I always want to stop and watch, no matter what they're doing. Feels like a gift.

I'm reading your blog thinking: "Why are you guys so worried about staying on schedule?" there's nowhere you *have* to be, right? Seems like following your inspiration rather than your schedule will net you a better trip.

Oh, I love you guys, and I hope you're having an awesome time despite the cold (weather *and* health!)

xoxo
Alissa