Sunday, December 28, 2008

On authentic culinary experiences

When in an exotic location, people often want to sample "authentic" cuisine. I laud this impulse, and often have it myself. Oftentimes, though, eating in a restaurant will only give one a tourist's experience. To truly have an "authentic" experience, one must attempt to eat what the locals eat. "How," one might ask, "does one discern what the locals eat without a professional guide, e.g. a restauranteur?" The answer, we have discovered, is quite simple. Simply visit a grocery store for a few hours and do some intense price comparing. Cover all your necessary nutrients. The absolute cheapest meal will be the most authentic. Dismiss nothing! While in Seattle, potatoes are the cheapest source of carbohydrates (Idaho being our neighbor) and proteins are all pretty much comparable (because the price of fish is still higher than other proteins, but you get my drift). edit: see comments for Seattle culinary controversy. In New Orleans, rice and beans are by far the cheapest staples to be found.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That may hold up in some places but I think the most authentic Seattle grub is sushi and Thai food :)

Brendina Pederhold said...

See, and I would say the most authentic Seattle cuisine is Vietnamese and Teriyaki. I think if you live in a city you eat what you prefer, and so our awareness of authentic food is askance. I also think authentic Seattle cuisine varies depending on what part of Seattle on lives in. Either that, or Seattle is a culinarily confusing entity unto itself... perhaps we agree on one thing at least - the cheapest and most authentic food in Seattle is Asian in nature. I think the grocery store system still works if you go to the right stores. Though the potatoes and Idaho thing still works. Potatoes are so much cheaper in Seattle than NOLA!

Considering that I seem to be taking a simple system and making it complex with respect to Seattle, I suspect living there means I can't view the culinary culture with an unbiased eye.