Friday, October 3, 2008

On the Train - Stina

We are passing through Glacier National Park in Montana and the views are lovely:


Sleeping on a train is hard. If this blog seems discombobulated, it’s because I am. I don’t know how many hours in a row I ever slept, but all told I guess we got about 6 hours of sleep. That’s also how much sleep we got the night before, finally crashing at 4am at my parents’ house after spending the whole day Tuesday packing and loading. We met several of our neighbors for the first time over the course of the last few days as people noticed our “Free Couch” sign or just saw us moving. I think we (society as a whole) should return to making pies for new neighbors so people can get to know one another when there’s time to grow a friendship.

I’m excited to see our article in the Herald. I hope it brings a larger following to our blog and website. Julie Muhlstein, the reporter, is friendly and easy to talk to. The photographer and Julie were at the train station when we departed. Julie was kind and stayed in the background as we said our goodbyes to my family, and Mark, the photographer, took pictures. My mom cried, and I think Amelie did a little too, and that was a little surprising to me. So far, this doesn’t feel so different from other times I’ve left for extended periods of time, but I guess it is. I’ve never been away for more than three months without seeing my family, and now it will be eight months before we pass through Seattle again. And even when we’re ready to get married and go to grad school or whatever happens next, it may not be in Seattle. It probably won’t be in Seattle.

But thankfully there’s the internet and cell phones and regular old snail mail, and these things enable us to keep in touch with one another easily. When my family moved to Virginia when I was 14, I lost touch with some people but became infinitely closer to others, and I’m hoping the latter will happen while we are away on this journey. In fact, if people would do me the favor of emailing their addresses to buskingjourney@gmail.com, I promise we will send a postcard, at least, and hopefully letters.

I love you all, my friends and family, and will miss probably more than I realize at this point.

3 comments:

Lena said...

I'm going to miss you guys so much. I'm getting teary just reading your blog. You are such a wonderful inspiration. I love you!

Alissa said...

You guys are so awesome. Godspeed! Have a wonderful time and lots of adventures and Seattle will miss you!

Nikki Prz said...

But I can't make pies...